Generating Understandable and Accurate Fuzzy Rule-Based Systems in a Java Environment
- Alonso, José María; Magdalena, L.
- Year: 2011
- Type of Publication: Article
- Keywords: free open source software; fuzzy modeling; interpretability
- Journal: LECTURE NOTES IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
- Volume: 6857
- Pages: 212-219
- ISSN: 0302-9743
- Looking for a good interpretability-accuracy trade-off is one of the most challenging tasks on fuzzy modelling. Indeed, interpretability is acknowledged as a distinguishing capability of linguistic fuzzy systems since the proposal of Zadeh and Mamdani's seminal ideas. Anyway, obtaining interpretable fuzzy systems is not straightforward. It becomes a matter of careful design which must cover several abstraction levels. Namely, from the design of each individual linguistic term (and its related fuzzy set) to the analysis of the cooperation among several rules, what depends on the fuzzy inference mechanism. This work gives an overview on existing tools for fuzzy system modelling. Moreover, it introduces GUAJE which is an open-source free-software java environment for building understandable and accurate fuzzy rule-based systems by means of combining several pre-existing tools.