Model-based load localisation for an autonomous hot metal carrier
- Nuevo, Jesús; Pradalier, C.; Bergasa, Luis M.
- Year: 2007
- Type of Publication: In Proceedings
- Keywords: M-estimators; aluminium smelters; autonomous hot metal carrier; bucket-like crucibles; forklift-type vehicles; model-based load localisation; fork lift trucks; mobile robots; path planning; robot vision;
- Book title: Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2007. IROS 2007. IEEE/RSJ International Conference on
- Pages: 247 -252
- Month: 29 2007-nov. 2
- DOI: 10.1109/IROS.2007.4399514
- Hot metal carriers (HMCs) are large forklift-type vehicles used to move molten metal in aluminium smelters. The molten metal is contained in bucket-like crucibles, that the HMC picks up. In this paper we explore the feasibility of using active appearance models to recognise and localise the handle of a crucible, from a camera on board an autonomous HMC. A two-dimensional model is built that mimics the apparent perspective deformations of the three- dimensional handle. The model is fitted to the handle using efficient algorithms, that include M-estimators for improved robustness. The fitting algorithm also provides and estimate of the actual distance to the crucible. We evaluate the accuracy and robustness of the approach in different lighting conditions.