Indoor robot navigation using a POMDP based on WiFi and ultrasound observations
- Ocaña, Manuel; Bergasa, Luis M.; Sotelo, Miguel Ángel; Flores, Ramón F.
- Year: 2005
- Type of Publication: In Proceedings
- Keywords: Markov Process; WiFi sensor; WiFi signal strength; Wifi simultaneous localization and mapping; autonomous learning system; indoor environment; indoor robot navigation; observation matrix; partially observable Markov decision process; robot navigation sys
- Book title: Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2005. (IROS 2005). 2005 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on
- Pages: 2592 - 2597
- Month: aug.
- ISBN: 0-7803-8912-3
- DOI: 10.1109/IROS.2005.1545031
- This paper presents a robot navigation system for indoor environments using a partially observable Markov decision process (POMDP) based on WiFi signal strength and ultrasound observations. The paper represents the first one in using WiFi sensor readings as an observation in a POMDP. We present an algorithm based on an EM-SLAM that we called WSLAM (Wifi simultaneous localization and mapping) that is able to learn the observation and transition matrix in autonomous mode. With this algorithm we obtain a minimum calibration effort. We demonstrate that this system is useful to navigate in indoor environments with a real robot. Some experimental results are shown. Finally, the conclusions and future works are presented.