Neural Control of the Movements of a Wheelchair
- Boquete, Luciano; García, Ricardo; Barea, Rafael; Mazo, M.
- Year: 1999
- Type of Publication: Article
- Keywords: Lyapunow stability; backpropagation; intelligent control; neural network; wheelchair
- Journal: J. Intell. Robotics Syst.
- Volume: 25
- Pages: 213-226
- Month: July
- ISSN: 0921-0296
- DOI: 10.1023/A:1008068322312
- This paper studies the problem of controlling the movements of a handicapped personâs motorized wheelchair from a practical point of view. The control system implemented has been divided into two levels: the âlow levelâ, consisting of an electronic system which directly controls the drivers of the chairâs motors, with a classic PID (proportional-integral-derivative) control loop. The aim of this level is to ensure that the speeds of each one of the wheels is similar to the input speed of these control boards. The second control level (âhigh levelâ), implemented by means of neural techniques, ensures that the linear and angular speeds of the wheelchair are those indicated by a trajectory generator. A new recurrent model is used as the neural network, for which the stability conditions of the complete control system are obtained and various practical tests are carried out, which show the correct performance of the actual system implemented.