Electro-oculographic guidance of a wheelchair using eye movements codification
- Barea, Rafael; Boquete, Luciano; Bergasa, Luis M.; López, Elena; Mazo, M.
- Year: 2001
- Type of Publication: Article
- Journal: The International Journal of Robotics Research
- Volume: 22
- Number: 7-8
- Pages: 641-652
- Month: July
- ISSN: 0278-3649
- DOI: 10.1177/02783649030227012
- In this paper we present a new method to guide mobile robots. An eye-control device based on electro-oculography (EOG) is designed to develop a system for assisted mobility. Control is made by means eye movements detected using electro-oculographic potential. Using an inverse eye model, the saccadic eye movements can be detected and know where the user is looking. This control technique can be useful in multiple applications, but in this work it is used to guide a wheelchair for helping people with severe disabilities. The system consists of a standard electric wheelchair, an on-board computer, sensors and a graphical user interface. Finally, we comment on some experimental results and conclusions about electro-oculographic guidance using ocular commands.