Real-time system for monitoring driver vigilance
- Bergasa, Luis M.; Nuevo, Jesús; Sotelo, Miguel Ángel; Vazquez, M.
- Year: 2004
- Type of Publication: In Proceedings
- Keywords: active IR illuminator; computer vision system; day driving conditions; eyelid movements; hardware system; monitoring driver vigilance; motorway; night driving conditions; nonintrusive prototype; real time image acquisition; real time system; software imp
- Book title: Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2004 IEEE
- Pages: 78 - 83
- Month: june
- DOI: 10.1109/IVS.2004.1336359
- We present a non-intrusive prototype computer vision system for real-time monitoring driver's vigilance. It is based on a hardware system, for real time acquisition of driver's images using an active IR illuminator, and their software implementation for monitoring some visual behaviours that characterize a driver's level of vigilance. These are the eyelid movements and the pose face. The system has been tested with different sequences recorded on night and day driving conditions in a motorway and with different users. We show some experimental results and some conclusions about the performance of the system.